There are two types of garage door springs. The extension garage door springs are long and heavy devices. They can be placed at the upper part of the door or mounted on both sides of the door. Other is tension garage door spring that is mounted above the center of the door and parallel to the surface of the frame of the door. The tension garage door spring working on the basic rule of tension and attached to both sides of the door to the lower panel with the help of cables. Click on the link http://www.greensboroncgaragedoorrepair.com/broken-garage-door-springs/ to get more information about the garage door springs.
It is also necessary to note here that attempting DIY garage door spring repair and replacement can be dangerous if not handled with care. You should have to adopt the right precautions because these springs are under extreme tension. You should be careful because you will lose your eyes, fingers, hands, or even your life. That is why; it is always advised to leave this dangerous task on the garage door professional.
The following are the necessary factors that should be kept in mind before attempting any DIY garage door spring work.
- Before attempting anything, release the tension in the existing spring
- Stay away from cable drums
- Remember, never use a screwdriver to wind off and wind up the springs
- Make sure that you have inserted a bar that is well fitted into the winding core before checking the setscrews. Never ever use a box wrench or socket box with the setscrews.
- Don’t remove the bar from the cone while performing garage door spring replacement
- When you wounding up the spring, don’t touch the brackets.
The following mentioned is an easy and convenient procedure for garage door spring replacement.
- Disconnect the power supply of the door and power cord of opener. Remove the garage door opener from the door. You have to remove a flip or fuse from the circuit breaker to disconnect the opener.
- Make sure that you have a shop for the right type and size of garage door spring to replace with the old one. Match the type and dimensions of the new tension springs with the old one. Don’t touch the winding bar and never grab the torsion spring.
- Don’t forget to mark each end of the shaft to be used to balance the door after garage door installation.
- Wind off the tension spring and remove the screws and bolts that are holding the cones to the brackets.
- Remove, replace and reinstall all the necessary hardware
- Carefully, windup the new spring
- Check the garage door balance
- Apply some lubrication for smooth friction
- Connect the garage door opener to operate the door and check to see if it’s functioning.